9.11.2008

9/11...

My Space Or Yours?.net

Where were you when the world stopped turning? I think we all remember just what was happening in our lives that very moment. I remember the first time I heard this song by Alan Jackson I just wept. I still cry today thinking about those images on my television screen, forever burned into my memory that will never be erased.



Some Lyrics from Alan Jackson's song:

"Where were you when the world stopped turning that September day
Teaching a class full of innocent children
Driving down some cold interstate
Did you feel guilty cause you're a survivor
In a crowded room did you feel alone
Did you call up your mother and tell her you love her
Did you dust off that bible at home
Did you open your eyes and hope it never happened
Close your eyes and not go to sleep
Did you notice the sunset the first time in ages
Speak with some stranger on the street
Did you lay down at night and think of tomorrow
Go out and buy you a gun
Did you turn off that violent old movie you're watching
And turn on "I Love Lucy" reruns
Did you go to a church and hold hands with some stranger
Stand in line and give your own blood
Did you just stay home and cling tight to your family
Thank God you had somebody to love

I'm just a singer of simple songs
I'm not a real political man
I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell you
The difference in Iraq and Iran
But I know Jesus and I talk to God
And I remember this from when I was young
Faith hope and love are some good things he gave us
And the greatest is love"

Here is how Sept. 11, 2001 happened for me:

I was living in Everett, WA (just north of Seattle) with Joe, we were engaged and planning a wedding. My mom called very early at 6:00 AM

My mom "Honey, have you turned on your TV yet?"
Me "No, why? something wrong?"
My mom "Just go turn on the television and sit down..."

I was so confused. Just as I turned on the TV and realized I was seeing images of some building in New York on fire the second plane hit.

"WHAT THE H*LL WAS THAT?"

I just sat, shocked, scared, silenced. I woke Joe up and we were glued to the TV for at least an hour. I remember feeling fear for him, at he time he was in the U.S. Navy and I wasn't sure what would come next in our future do to these awful attacks on American soil.

The day was in slow motion. Joe couldn't watch it after a while, same footage over and over. People jumping, etc. it was too much for him to take in. I on the other hand stayed in my PJ's and watched it all, for most of the day I didn't leave that television screen.

Still in a daze as to what was actually happening we hear the call for blood donations. Feeling incredibly helpless we jumped at the chance to do something, anything. Off we went to the local Red Cross and stood in the longest line I have ever seen. That alone made me cry, all these hundreds of people, just wanting to help. It felt so insignificant, giving blood, all I wanted to do was run into that rubble and reach for a hand to pull out and hug.

We saw so many people rise up and become Heroes. I was so proud of our Nation that day.

Where were you when the world stopped turning? What do you remember?

Ta Ta for now

Photobucket