6.13.2009

Others Who Chatter... School Lunches


There are times when I am reading blogs that I stumble upon a post I just HAVE TO SHARE. Do you ever have those moments? "Wow, this is such a great idea (or tip, or advice) I wish it was on my blog!" Well, I am going to put some of them on here from time to time. *with permission of course*

This idea is from
jam jar boogie in a post titled How to change your life with 2 loaves :

Is it lunchtime already?

That's homemade plum jam by the way. Want one?

Or the ham and cheese version?

This is what 15 mornings of peace look like.

A few years ago, (just after the school year had started), my friend called me up for a chat. She confessed that she was making a week's worth of PB & J sandwiches to freeze as we spoke on the phone. She said "There's just no other way we can get out of the house in the morning." I thought it was the grossest thing. I mean, please? Who would eat a frozen sandwich?

Oh guess what? Children do! Children who are hungry and trapped at school and have no other choice do! Yippee!

I started doing this soon after that phone call and have never looked back. Besides, Evan refuses to carry a lunch pail to school (7th grade) and there goes any hope of keeping a lunch chilled properly. But a frozen sandwich doesn't spoil between 7 am and 12.

I feel so smug to have 15 lunches ready to roll. So I wash an apple or two and find some pretzels or raisins. Ta-da! Lunch. And the minute someone complains? Well---it's make your own darn lunch, smarty pants...

********************


See! Isn't that a super awesome idea? Next year I will have 2 munchkins in all day school and will be making a LOT of lunches. This idea is going to save me a ton of time. Thanks Ella for this fabulous post, and for allowing me to "borrow" it :)

au revoir, adieu, ciao, till next time...

Photobucket

17 comments:

Yaya said...

Yes I saw this and thought it was BRILLIANT!

MamabearMills said...

fun! great!

Debbie said...

Just inspired! That is a great idea.

Glass Dragonfly said...

I used to do this! Just the PB & J's though! Starr liked them just fine...before 9th gradeish when bringing lunch just wouldn't do. You wouldn't want to be uncool!

I'm liking the IZ!

Mom24 said...

I'm still jealous at the idea of having children who would eat PB&J or Ham and Cheese. I have four and not one of them would eat either of those. *sigh*

Great tip though.

He And Me + 3 said...

That is a great idea, but my kids don't eat sandwiches. Bummer. Cause I hate packing lunches everyday. any ideas for kids that don't eat sandwiches and have nut allergies?

Anissa said...

What a great idea! Thanks for coming by today. Have a wonderful weekend.

ModernMom said...

Hey. Just popped over from Jams Own Reality and had to comment. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing/

Bonnie said...

That a great idea!! BUT ..I'm with you ewwww..guess it wouldn't hurt to try it.

Angela said...

This is a great idea! When my kids are big enough i think I will have to do this.
Thank you for your sweet comment. I'm enjoying your blog too.

camerapatty said...

Tat is such a smart and very useful idea. I will have to start doing that with cheese sandwiches so my son can just grab one when he's hungry this summer.

Wishing you a scent-sational day!
Patty

Melissa said...

I too loved this idea!

Sashindoubutsu said...

Great thinking! Thanks for sharing..^^

Carrie said...

It seems like you can freeze anything...why didn't I think of that? Great idea!

kimert said...

A very interesting tip! I wonder if I will remember it when school starts back up? lol

treemama said...

OMG! I am so doing this!

dood1ebugs said...

Thanks for sharing this. I will definatly be trying this!