6.15.2009

I'm a Hermit Crab

I have this habit during summer time. I wasn't sure it would follow me all the way across country when we moved. I have been super busy that I thought it wouldn't happen... well, it did and I am doing my old habit once again.

I turned into a hermit crab!

Let me explain a little. I do this thing (not on purpose, it just happens) were I disappear. The sun gets warm, school ends, I plan all these super cool summer activities to keep us all busy then out of nowhere... I crawl into my shell. I don't pick up the phone and call a girlfriend to chit chat, I come up with excuses to cancel appointments. I just want to stay home and enjoy my munchkins, no distractions, nothing that has to be done, just them and me.

Someone once said it might be seasonal depression. I don't know, I am not sad or down at all. I just don't want to go anywhere. I just want to be a Hermit Crab! Hard as I try to ignore this natural instinct of mine to crawl in my nice comfy safe place it still happens.

My girlfriends in South Carolina understand what I am talking about. For the last 4 summers I would get a phone call half way through "Where the heck have you been? Did you die? We miss you!" and I'd have to explain that I was fine, nothing exciting was going on, I was just at home playing with my kids. Well, I have a few new friends here in Arizona, but they have never seen me during the summer. I hope they don't drop me as a friend because I disappear for the summer.

I thoroughly enjoy it to be honest with you. It's like a vacation. No schedule, no appointments, nothing! Come this fall when school starts I'll crawl out, dust myself off and continue on with the crazy days I had left behind at the summer beginning. Am I nuts? does anyone else do this?

au revoir, adieu, ciao, till next time...

Photobucket

27 fabulous comments:

Carrie said...

I totally do that...am doing it right now! LOL! I love having nothing to do and nowhere to be! Sometimes when you're so busy during the school year, it's great to just be. Not tell the kids to get dressed, let's go, and drive somewhere {except thru the McDonald's drive-thru to get my iced coffee! haha!} Good for you...my friends know that about me too...and I have one friend in particular where we just know each other that way! She does the same and once in awhile we'll come out and play ;)

No worries...hope you enjoy your quiet time and just being in your new home and being with those that matter the most! I'm going to stay right here in my jammies, too and listen to the kids laugh! I think it makes a difference, too having the two kiddos that can play well together and can stay home and enjoy it. Summer will be over before we know and then back to hustle and bustle!

Carrie said...

Wow, that was really LONG! Sorry! Maybe I need to get out! LOL!

Ronnica said...

It's probably from the decompression...you no longer have anything sticking you to a schedule, so you don't stick to one! Perhaps the weather drains you of energy as well. I say, enjoy it!

valentine said...

i'm the same way, it's not that i don't want to do stuff or go places, i just really like relaxing and being at home.

plus, sometimes it's just so hot outside, its more fun being in the cool air inside.

Anissa said...

I am a home body all year. I love staying home with the kids and when we do something I just want it to be me, my husband, and my kids. My mom tells me to get a life and always tell me I'm must be depressed. My answer just because I want to be home with my family doesn't make me depressed it makes me a wonderful wife and mother.

Penny Lane said...

I do this, and I don't have any kids. Well, I don't do it all summer, because I can't help but have to go to work, but on my days off (which happen to be Fridays) I dread when I have to go to my hair appt. or whatever. I like that time just for me, just to unwind, work on graphics, catch up online, nap, workout, watch TV Land, or whatever else I want to do. I think it's normal to want to relax when you have a chance, kids or no kids.

E @ Scottsville said...

I think because I'm forced to work all week (Mon-Fri), by the weekends... you'd think I'd be a hermit. But instead, I'm rushing around to do the funnest thing we can think of like I don't want to waste one minute of the weekend being boring. So I stay tired... but I'm having fun, so who cares, right?

Hey - to each his own!!! I think you should at least plan SOMETHING super cool one day this week and see how it goes. =0)

E

Greetings from Guatemala said...

visiting from SITS. Loved reading your blog. Enjoy your summer!!! it'll be over too fast!

Blessings.

Yaya said...

I don't think you're nuts! Makes sense to me, they're only kids once!

camerapatty said...

I am having the opposite effect now that summer is here and the kids are out of school. I have so many things lined up that its absolutely nuts. And today is only the first day.

Gotta go, the kids are screaming. Have a scent-sational day!
Patty

Life With Dogs said...

I sure do, but always in winter. Summers here are too short to miss!

underthebigbluesky said...

pretty much me on any given day, i have very few close "irl" friends.

i think it's a bit of being a mom. and so much to do, i'm already trying to pack wwaaayyy to much into this summer.

and can i say you always have the most AMAZING music on here!!!

Kelly said...

I totally understand this!! Enjoy them while you can! They grow up so darn fast.

ModernMom said...

I am almost relieved to see this post! If I had it my way my girls and I would only leave the house to get more ice cream! Love to play in the backyard, swim just hang and enjoy no schedule.
So to answer your question. YES I do this!!!

He And Me + 3 said...

I think it is because we run around so much the rest of the year. I love not having a schedule and being able to come and go as we please...or stay in our pjs all day too.
Enjoy your summer with your kids. They are only this age once!

Jennifer P. said...

Not nuts at all! I find myself going through stages like that throughout the year. I love my home. I love my kids. I love staying in my comfy clothes. I love cooking for myself. And I'm ok with that :)

Enjoy your hermit time. I have a feeling that things will be pretty much the same when you're ready to head out again!

Queenie Jeannie said...

Well hun, your kids are totally lucky to have your undivided attention!!! Nothing wrong with slowing down and enjoying your time "off" together.

I'd still do something every couple of weeks with your friends though. Relationships need to be nutured - regardless of what kind or with whom.

Enjoy your summer!

kate said...

As long as you are not feeling "blue" then I don't see anything wrong with it either! Especially if the kids are content and staying busy and are obviously well loved...I do something similar in the winter. We all have our phases! It's probably too hot to go out much there right now anyway! Enjoy your time with the munchkins!

Kat said...

I think I am pretty similar. I even avoid phone calls because I am just not in the mood to talk to people. I think it is good we like to spend time with our munchies!!

blueviolet said...

I do that exact same thing and have done it for years! Mine is usually the reverse though. I'm ok in the summer but during the colder months I hibernate big time!

Melissa said...

DO not feel one bit bad for being a hermit! You take care of you and yours!and if beinghome makes you happy than they will certainly be happy! Enjoy!

nikkicrumpet said...

I think it's great...and I'm sure the kids love having all of mom's attention! I love spending all my time in the backyard during the summer...I have a hard time making myself go back inside!

KC said...

I think that is totally normal.. and yes I do it also.

Debbie said...

Oh yes! I do it all the time. Therefore, it has to be normal:)

Nina said...

Hermit sounds good to me.

valentine said...

hi! you have an award over at my blog. stop by to pick it up,

alicew said...

I am like that all the time...not just certain seasons...lol! So glad I am not alone! I do the excuses thing too...and frequently don't answer the phone. People usually get me by just popping over (which I hate...hehe!) sigh...I just love my home ;) Thanks for sharing so I know I have a kindred spirit in this...