6.26.2009

Austen Movies

It is no secret that I am a HUGE Jane Austen fan. I love her novels (in particular Persuasion, and Pride & Prejudice) I also love books inspired by her writing (like "Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict" by Laurie Viera Rigler & all the books by Elizabeth Aston.) When my mind is cluttered with doubt, or things are uncertain I know I can always open these books and feel peaceful.

Lately I haven't had the time to get my "Austen Therapy" that I so desperately have needed. Instead I have popped in a DVD to get my fix. True, it is not the same, but it still brings a smile to my face.

Here is a list of the Austen inspired movies I have seen. PLEASE feel free to tell me if there are any must-sees I have missed. And yes, if you haven't seen these you must :)











Not surprisingly either is the fact that ones made in England by British actors tend to be the best. Especially the BBC specials! I leave you with a short clip from Pride & Prejudice that always brightens my day. (and yes, I've posted this clip before... sorry, it's my favorite!)

be sure to pause the music @ right




au revoir, adieu, ciao, till next time...


Photobucket

17 fabulous comments:

Kelly said...

Starr loves Jane Austen, I like the movies. I tend to get a little stuck in the novels. I blame my headaches!

We have watched nearly all of those movies. I am writing down the two that we've missed. I am sure that Starr will want to see them!!

Just A Mom (Call me JAM for short) said...

I think I've seen all of them EXCEPT Lost in Austen. Yes, they were all wonderful!

TGIF! I did a picture tag link to you today.

Martha in PA said...

I have seen some of them, but can't remember which ones. I do remember liking the Jan Austen Book Club!

I won a copy of Mrs Meyers Clean Home, so I will be reading that soon!

I hope you have a good weekend!

valentine said...

um yeah, huge jane austen fan here!! actually, both my sister and i are huge fans. my fav. movies are the BBC P&P, persuasion (an often overlooked one) and sense and sensibility.

i had not seen that vid before, thanks for sharing it! i am so excited to find another jane austen sister.

E @ Scottsville said...

Sadly, I haven't seen any of those... I don't think. I know, I know. How lame am I?

I'm too busy swimming I guess. ha ha ha

Have a great weekend!

Melissa said...

Someday I will watch these again...right now I have no time for tv...when the kids get older I will have plenty of time right!?

He And Me + 3 said...

Believe it or not...I have not seen any of these either. Yikes. I better get on the band wagon.

Elizabeth said...

I think you may have just inspired me to try to read Jane Austen again - I haven't tried since college, when I had a tough time getting into her stuff. Maybe I'll give Ms. Austen another try!

P.S. - I posted an award for you on my blog!

http://typeamommyblog.blogspot.com/2009/06/really-another-award-gee-thanks.html

dood1ebugs said...

The book I said I have been trying to read for the last couple weeks is Pride and Prejudice. I really want to watch the movie again but now until I finish the book.

Marites said...

I looooove Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibiility, the books and the movies. I have yet to read more of Jane Austen's books.

Midwest Mommy said...

I have never seen any of those? Am I living under a rock? lol

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

I am so thankful for my new blog friends....and plan to spend some time reading blogs one day this week...
Remember that Tuesday night I will be drawing for the June giveaway...a $75.00 "Card Box"!
Every comment counts for an entry. Plus in thanks for all the prayers said for my family this month...I am going to add 3 other special "surprise gifts"! So there will be 4 bloggers that get blessed this week!

blueviolet said...

I have never read or watched any of these. Isn't that awful?!! I seriously need to fix that situation! I wonder what the best one to start with would be.

Mouthy Housewife said...

We love Jane Austen. She was mouthy in her own, well-mannered way!

Penny Lane said...

I need to look into those movies. I haven't seen quite a few of them. Thanks for the rec :)

underthebigbluesky said...

haven't seen lost in austen, but I have to completely agree with you on this one.

my sister is a librarian and they all have this austen thing and for one of their birthdays someone made them a "Mr. Darcy" cake, with Colin Firth's picture on it from the movie.

I have to say my favorite is "Becoming Jane" is my favorite because Mr. James McAvoy is my secret boyfriend. Sssshhh!

Cherie said...

Oh how I love Pride and Prejudice!

I didn't know there were so many Austen movies out there. I am going to have to check out a few!

Thanks for the list...and the clip - One of my favorites too!