6.10.2009

Is it wrong to WANT to slap someone?

The city of Phoenix is doing something super cool this year. It's a program called "The Culture Pass." Here's how it works: Culture Passes can be checked out like books. Each pass grants admission for up to four people to the museums, zoos, gardens and other places that are taking part. The best part? IT'S FREE!

When a friend told me about this Culture Pass thing, I was so excited. What a wonderful way to take your kids somewhere fun and educational and save a few bucks! WRONG oh boy was I WRONG!

I arrived this morning 15 minutes before the library opened (the passes are handed out first come first serve) kids in tow, ready to pick up my pass for some summer fun. Stood in line like a good mommy waiting my turn. The doors opened... CRAZINESS!

pushing
swearing
cutting in line
rude ladies
running

It was a mad house. Within 5 minutes every single pass was gone, we didn't even get one. My kids were so bummed. The thing that really bugged me was that many people had multiple passes (you are supposed to get 1 per family) I saw someone with 8. I asked if she was going to use them all, she barked at me sternly "YUP!" and passed them out to her kids so it looked like she only had one. WHAT?!

What I learned today is people are willing to ruin other peoples fun for their own personal gain sometimes. Adults are willing to shove a child in order to get what they want. That we will not be going to all the museums and cultural events I had hoped this summer :(

Here's what puts it all into perspective though: As we were leaving my son looks up at me and says "It's alright mama, we have a bunch of crafts at home, I'll paint you some art. And it's already free!" That's right buddy, I'd choose your homemade art over anything else in the world.

au revoir, adieu, ciao, till next time...

Photobucket

25 comments:

E @ Scottsville said...

Awwwww, what a sweetheart he is! Melts a mommy's heart.

Hunt down those old photos and come take a walk with me anytime!

Erica

MamabearMills said...

awww that makes me sad! you know i carry a gun right>!>!>!> muah ah ah

Carrie said...

What a great little munchkin you got there ;) Too bad we lose some of that outlook as we get older...like the wild animals at the library! ha ha! Hopefully you will still get to go to some of those places...but there's no place like home...with some cute kiddos who make cute art for their mommy :) You will always have that!

Melissa said...

Awh Lizzieyou have a wonderfully sweet little man there! I sowoulda felt the urge to slap her too! Enjoy your sweet little family!

Melissa said...

Oh - and I love your music!

He And Me + 3 said...

What a sweet sweet boy you have. That is too bad that you all had to wait and then didn't get anything in return. Bummer. What a mean lady.

kimert said...

What a sweet little guy!! :)

Mom24 said...

That's unbelieveably awful. I'm so sorry that people would act in such a horribly selfish way.

Your son rocks!

camerapatty said...

Sometimes people need a good slap upside the head. People can be so rude and insensitive to others. Reminds me of a few Black Fridays!

Wishing you a scent-sational day!
Patty

Yaya said...

Gosh, what is wrong with some people???

B said...

Man that blows. But you've got yerself a snazzy lil feller there. I probably would have taken the opportunity to teach my youngin's the fine art of butt whoopin'...and I'm sure that would have ended in a nice tour of the local jail and courthouse. Hey- every kid should be familiar with our justice system ;)
(hope your day turned out perfect)

Queenie Jeannie said...

Oh honey! I'm so sorry this happened to you! Your son is such a sweetie - you are obviously raising those kids RIGHT!!!!

I would send out three letters. One to your Mayor, so he/she is aware of what happened. Ditto to the editor of your town's paper, and to the library staff. I get so IRKED when these things happen. If you only need one pass per family, why the heck does that lady need 8???

Does the library have a reading program?? Many do and are free! Did you know that Lowe's and Home Depot have FREE classes for kids? They make birdhouses, etc and even the supplies are free! I know you will find tons of great things to do with your kiddos!

♥spoiled mommy♥ said...

See how people can ruin a good mommy, at that moment I would have snapped and I would have gotten one even more so if someone pushed my child. {or so I like to think haha} Things like this have made me very mean, and I didnt used to be but its so wrong for people to act like that.
How sweet of your little man and so true.

kate said...

Okay, so I get a little over emotional with everything, but ugh, your post made me want to cry!!! How rude people are! I am soooo proud of your little guy for knowing to make the most of the situation- you have obviously taught him well. Maybe a letter to the organizers of the pass giveaway is in order...in fact, I think it is a MUST!

kate said...

I agree that you also need to send one to the editor of the local paper- that will help you feel a lot better and it will also ensure things get done a lot better next year!

fraizerbaz said...

Oh, no are you kidding me? What is the matter with people these days? It's like a bunch of animals, I swear. (I think I am going to complain - I just don't know who will listen!)

Carrie said...

Lizzie, I've tagged you...if you want to play along...have fun ;)

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

I SO would have wanted to slap someone, too!

And awwwwww! Your son is just to precious! Isn't it awesome how they are so perceptive and want to make you feel better about a bad situation? Priceless! :)

So yeah, have him paint some art, then you can post pictures of it so we can ooooh and aaaaah over it! :)

Bonnie said...

Yes unfortunately there are ppl in this world that ruin it for the others.

It seems to be getting worse, sales, freebies etc...maybe because the economy is going downhill.

You are a great Mama if your little boy saw the disappointment and wanted to erase it from your heart.

TattooedMinivanMom said...

Depends on who and why.

I'll be right back.

TattooedMinivanMom said...

Yep, you shoulda slapped that bitch.

Bless your little guys heart.

Martha in PA said...

What a shame. People are so inconsiderate, it always amazes me what people will do (and how they will act) for a good deal or FREE!

dood1ebugs said...

I am so sorry that the kids (and you) were disapointed. Tell you what...You can come stay at my house for FREE! Tell zane Kent said HI!

Penny Lane said...

What a sweet little man your son must be to be so thoughtful at such a young age. Makes me smile, in contrast to the greedy grabber lady with the 8 passes. WHY do people have to be greedy like that? There's enough for everyone, ya know? UGH!

Anissa said...

That was sweet! I dislike greedy people!