4.06.2009

How To (not) Be Organized

In my mind everything is nice and tidy. My home is ship shape, organized and in order. If you are like me in reality it looks like a bomb went off! I have tried for years to get my home straightened up FOR GOOD. Somehow it just never happens. Life happens and that forlorn filthy pantry is left in shambles.

What is the secret to household organization?
What do those "organized people" know that I don't?
Why can't my cupboards look like this:


So people I have made an extremely late new years resolution, I WILL get my act together and be able to find things in my own home, I WILL be able to walk through my home without tripping on shoes, I WILL be able to find space in my closets due to handy dandy organized shelves.

Now comes your part... (what, you thought you'd get off scott free?) How do I do this? Please help me!?! Any advice you have will be greatly appreciated. I already feel liberated, they say admitting your problem is half the battle!

Ta Ta for now

Photobucket

14 fabulous comments:

Anissa said...

I try and do that every year -- but it never stay that way -- with 3 kids, a puppy running around, and homeschooling -- it get kind of crazy.

sarah said...

on oprah.com she has a clean team link...the tips in there are fab. I have been doing this since i found it a couple weeks ago..I would be done now except life happens and i am full swing with school meetings and photo shoots.

Good luck...

Mom24 said...

Good luck! I honestly think the key, for me, would be to have a house 2 and a half times the one we have. Seriously. With 5 people living in a 1400 square foot house, way too much stuff, there just isn't a way to keep it clutter-free, clean and organized. At least not that I've discovered. If you come upon a system that works, please share. I've also read about a chore planning system at Motivated Moms http://motivatedmoms.com/, that I've thought about buying.

Lesli said...

Check out www.clutterdiet.com. I just saw it in Good Housekeeping.

kate said...

Hey Liz- check out this blog:http://adayinthelifeofthechristensons.blogspot.com/2009/03/organizing-101.html (V. and Co. it's called...great blog all in all) But she has some great tips for getting and staying organized in your closets at least!

Amy said...

Thank you Mom24! I feel so much better. We are a family of 5 living in 1400 sq ft, and my efforts feel futile! And then I feel guilty for feeling like my house is too small because so much of the world has LESS than me. Like 10 people living in a 1 room dirt shack. So I don't think my house is too small. Just too small for me to keep it CLEAN and ORGANIZED.
Hope you get some good tips! Will be checking in to see what they are.

Debbie said...

First, you organize everything exactly the way you want it. Then, you move your family out. Job finished!

KC said...

OH girl I'm the most unorganized person in the world.. I couldn't help you if I tried sorry.

Anissa said...

I tagged you!

♥spoiled mommy♥ said...

Yeah, you go get organized and tell me when it happens for ya with 2 young kids then I will need you to pass that miracle secret!! haha

Condo Blues said...

Maybe a change in looking at organizing will help. I always thought that I didn't have time to be organized, things would pile up until I got sick of it, and I'd spend a weekend putting stuff back in it's place - not fun. Then I realized that if I took the extra 2 two minutes to hang clothes up than toss them on a chair, etc. I saved myself time - not only for cleaning but for looking for items. Once I started telling myself"I'm organized because I'm too lazy to hunt for stuff" it got easier for me to keep doing it.

fraizerbaz said...

Is that what you were doing at Ikea?

Believe me, I am the LAST person you'd want advice from on getting organized. I am the WORST at keeping order!

underthebigbluesky said...

i try, really i do, and for like 10 minutes it looks fantastic!!!! then the girls come in :-(

i think it's a losing battle and no one really lives in homes like these.

the only thing i'm hoping to do right now is just get rid of the stuff we don't need.

like if you don't need it or love it, pitch it!!

Kat said...

I would love to have my mudroom look like that. I love the locker look with everything in it's place - no shoes and coats all over. Maybe some day!