7.01.2008

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Remember this book from when you were a kid? This is how my day has felt...
(excerpt from book)
"I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there’s gum in my hair and when I got out of bed this morning I tripped on the skateboard . . . and I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day."

From there, Alexander’s day just keeps getting worse as he goes to school, finds himself at the dentist’s office, and has to go shopping for clothes with his mother. He has a miserable day. Even the family cat seems to be against him.

Nothing overly bad has happened today, I am just grumpy. Not quite sure why though. Maybe because Joe is still on night shift and being a "single parent" can take its toll, or I am just having one of those days. Any how, I understand Alexander today. Maybe if I were 5 years old it would be OK to be crabby, but as a mom you aren't given a get out of jail free card. We have to suck it up, put on a smile and pretend to be in a good mood so the kids don't think mom is a grouch.

So on this day I have declared secretly to my internet audience that I am having a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. Any advice out there on how turn my day around? Maybe a nice yummy coffee from Starbucks, mmm mmm, that might just do it!

Tomorrow I will be all sunshine and roses, I promise.

Ta Ta for now

Photobucket

1 comment:

kate said...

Awe Liz! I really do feel your pain, except the part of course with having a husband on the night shift...Wait, I do know what that is like, but thankfully, it happened long before we ever had two kids running around. I can't imagine what it would be like now, pretty yucky, I would guess, and I'm sorry that you guys have to go through it now. Will it be a long term thing? I hope not!

Ugh, and then there is the issues of growing children and all of the emotions and frustrations that they experience. I have started feeling their poor little, raw emotions rubbing off on me lately too, and I have discovered that this once carefree, happy, go lucky gal, is all of the sudden easily perturbed and quick to yell. Where did my patient, good problem solving side go? I think I threw it out with the garbage a few weeks ago, along with the ability to hide my frustration that it was me taking the darn trash out instead of Pete for the tenth time this month!!!!

Take the day off, in whatever capacity you are able. Yes, you still have to feed, bathe and maybe even entertain the kids, but when you can afford it, sit down, prop up your feet and read a chapter or two, watch the home and garden channel or have a big bowl of ice cream. And while you're at it...get the kids in the car and drive into town for that extra large cup of Coffee! We are all deserving of a little time to ourselves in order to help us relieve that grumpy day feeling. Trust me though, I know it's really easier said then done. The only time I;'ve had to myself lately was when I forced myself to rise and shine at 6 am yesterday to go out and run. And I was so glad I did it. At least in the midst of all the craziness yesterday, I still had that 30 minutes to reflect upon.

Wow, I could still go on and on, but I won't. This stuff is like therapy! Thanks! And I hope your Grumpy Day gets better!

Kate