5.22.2009

My Grandfather & His Flags

Memorial day weekend is once again upon us. I always reflect back on those who have fought for my freedom. I also think of my Grandpa John. He had so much respect for this nation, it's soldiers and it's flag. He understood what it meant to live for ones country. He served for and loved America.

Every year he'd drive his golf cart to the local cemetery and place hundreds of flags on every single grave belonging to a service man. Even as my grandfather got older and walking became more difficult, still there he was every memorial day. He knew what those men and women had sacrificed for him and he was sure not going to let anything get in his way to honor them.

I learned so much about honoring ones country from him growing up, even though he never sat me down and told me anything about it. Just by simply doing what was respectful, by acting on what was right I learned so much. The phrase "Actions speak louder than words" is so true here.

Every morning he would raise his flag up that tall flag pole in his front yard, and each evening he would lower those colors back down. It was (and is) disrespectful in his eyes to leave the red, white and blue out in the rain, the cold, the darkness. Even to this day, if I leave my flag out, or a corner touches the ground I feel so bad.

On this coming memorial day I hope you take a moment and thank those who helped make this country what it is. One thing I know I will be doing is passing a tradition onto my kids, heading to my local cemetery and placing flags on graves with my children. I know my Grandpa John would love to be alive and going with us, I'll place an extra one out there for him.


Photobucket
Today I am going to have a
virtual Girls Night Out!
wanna come? click below!



au revoir, adieu, ciao, till next time...

Photobucket

32 comments:

kiddiescorner said...

Beautiful post! I will place a flag for your grandpa when I go walking in the cemetary this weekend.

Jennifer P. said...

what a fabulous tribute! Your Grandfather's respect for the flag is inspiring---it's one of the reasons I've never flown a flag--I'm so afraid of doing it 'wrong'.

Thank you for this wonderful Memorial Day message!

kate said...

You've inspired me as well, thanks so much for sharing this! I hope you have a wonderful weekend... we are headed off to visit Pete in Missouri again, he has been gone from home for about 85% of the time that we have lived here in SC...things are not so great for us these days, keep us in your prayers if you can!

Tamis said...

very true! I hate to think the whole reason for the 3 day weekend will be lost on the young kids.

Happy VGNO!

Mandala Michelle said...

Fantastic post. Thanks for reminding us all.

Liz said...

How sweet to post about your grandfather. My dad is 91 and is a WWII VET he remembers an just started to talk about it. happy vgno

Carrie said...

That is awesome! What an inspiration! My kids asked me what Memorial Day was, and I said a time to remember the soldiers. What a great way to respect them and honor them! Have a wonderful weekend!

Yaya said...

The selfessness of those who serve for our country always amazes me.
Happy Memorial Day.

Gena said...

Wonderful post! "Never Forget"


Happy VGNO!

I am Harriet said...

Happy VGNO.
What a wonderful tribute.
Have a great weekend!

JAN'S PLACE said...

Thank you for this post.. God Bless America, and those who serve our country.

My dad served in the Army Air Corp.. and his generation was such a great generation..

I do not want our children to be ignorant of the price that was paid for our freedom, than and now.

Happy VGNO!

Ann said...

Lizzie that is an absolutely beautiful post.

And, I don't remember if I tell you this EVERY time, but your music is always so wonderful.

I finally have Mr. Linky working so I hope that brings more "party goers" your way.

Happy VGNO!!!

Elizabeth said...

Thank you for reminding me what Memorial Day weekend is supposed to be all about. I think I will plan to make a visit to my father (a veteran)'s grave, to place a flag there. Thank you.

Happy VGNO!

Just A Mom (Call me JAM for short) said...

Beautiful tribute to your Grandfather. And thank you for the reminder of what this weekend is all about.

Happy VGNO!

Yaya said...

Stopping by again to say Happy VGNO!

dood1ebugs said...

Remembering the soldiers and last years Memorial Day weekend. Miss you lots!

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

Absolutely beautiful post, Lizzie! My grandfather was a lot like yours - boy do I miss him! I'll set an extra flag out for your grandpa this weekend, too!

Have a wonderful Memorial Day Weekend, and Happy VGNO! :)

Martha (FL) said...

What a wonderful tribute to your grandfather. My brother made the ultimate sacrifice in Viet Nam, so having other remember the real reason for the holiday means a great deal to me and my family!

Rosie said...

what a beautiful post. Thanks!

Kris said...

The older generation really did have more of an appreciation for our freedom didn't they? Happy VGNO and thanks for making me think about what it's really all about!!

Sue said...

That's great that your Grandfather did that, and you and your family are continuing his tradition.

Thanks for sharing. Happy (belated) VGNO

Mary K Brennan said...

This is beautiful. You're making your Grandpa proud, and teaching your children a valuable lesson.

Just_Aimee said...

Absolutely beautiful post. I am glad I got to take my teens to DC yesterday, to help them understand...I hope you have a great weekend (Happy late VGNO)

Kat said...

Wow! What a great post! I am finally getting around to the VGNO!

BTW - your blog deign is gorgeous!

Melissa said...

Sweet...you have brought tears to my eyes. I stoppedby from Martin Manor...so glad as you have a sweet blog.

E @ Scottsville said...

What a great tribute!!

Hope yours was a great Memorial Day!

KC said...

what a beautiful post.

TattooedMinivanMom said...

Thank you.

Penny Lane said...

Hi I found your blog on Blog Around the World. Mind if I follow you? I'm a midwestern girl, harmless mostly, looking for some online friends. Your blog is adorable, and this post very touching. *waves hello*

Debbie said...

Wonderful post. So many people now have no idea how to properly treat the flag.

♥spoiled mommy♥ said...

awww thats so sweet. what a wonderful tradition!
miss ya girl!

Elena said...

Very touching, Lizzie. As children, we always learn by example, and now you are setting a good example for your little ones. I like the new layout of your blog.