5.18.2009

Kindergarteners & Nutjobs


What do you think about all the Pomp & Circumstance surrounding Kindergarten Graduations? The munchkin will be finishing up his kindergarten career this Friday, and while I am incredibly proud of him, I don't understand why these little people are being treated like they graduated college?! They have special outfits and hats they need to wear, they have a class party. That's all fine and wonderful. I am talking more about the overboard moms:

Graduation invitations to everyone in suburbia, catering companies called, party planners, photographers, everything! Some women have been planning their child's kindergarten graduation party for months! Doesn't that seem a little excessive to anyone but me?

My little man did a great job in school this year, even changed schools halfway through it. I am amazed at all he has learned and how hard he has worked. I have a great bag of goodies for him to celebrate including a bunch of books for summer reading, activity books and a few action figures he's been wanting. But what he'll also get is a very proud mommy and daddy!

I want my munchkins to know how important school is, but I also want them to understand there is more to come. I will throw the BIGGEST college graduation party you have ever seen, and you're all invited! But, not this year. Not for a 6 year old. Goodness.

What are your thoughts? (please take no offense if you planned a ginormous kindergarten grad party, every one is free to do whatever they want... i just might think you're a little loopy that's all, ha ha)

au revoir, adieu, ciao, till next time...


Photobucket

15 fabulous comments:

nikkicrumpet said...

YEAH....ummm not that the little ones don't work hard....but has anyone NOT graduated from Kindergarten???? I think as a society we've lost our freaking marbles! And then these same kids grow up and expect a party everytime they do anything mundane. I think your idea is perfect...a treat and some books...an attaboy/girl...and then go out and play!

Mariah said...

I agree with you and nickycrumpet Society has lost their marbles on this. Seriously, how frackin' hard is it to graduate kindergarten?? It's coloring and recess. It's the moms they're nuts

Martha (FL) said...

I'm with you on this one too! I've been seeing that trend too. Crazy! The parties keep getting bigger and bigger for birthdays, and every other milestone!

I also am shocked by the "goodie bags" at parties these days. Wasn't the idea of a birthday party for the guest to bring the birthday child a gift. Now I think some folks spend more on the "swag"! (I know, I changed subjects there!)

I'm just saying, it all seems a little excessive to me!

Congrats to your little guy for a job well done! Moving mid-year has to be tough!

Run Mommy said...

Love the Mom sites! Yours in so pretty! I will keep reading...

Carrie said...

Really? You don't do that? ok, me either! I'm not even sure Alex's teacher will even have a class party. I haven't heard of anything yet! That is pretty overboard, but, to each his own, I guess! Same with preschool...I didn't even go to preschool, and it's really competitive to get into preschool here! But I don't want to send my little Emily to kindergarten, too! ha ha! oh well...see you at the grad party! LOL!

Bonnie said...

We don't have K Grad here but they do have Preschool grad and yes I don't understand why they let everyone graduate when some kid are only 3 yrs and not moving on. At least they don't really get it.

underthebigbluesky said...

we don't have it here either. congratulations, your 1st grade teacher will be...... that's about all we'll get.

the girls got red robin gift certificates for completing their reading programs at school this year, so we will probably go to lunch to celebrate end of school.

the problem i think with all this pomp and circumstance is that the kids will come to expect it. for everything. and what happens when your money gets tight and your kids are like wwhhaattt?

Martha (FL) said...

Totally unrelated -I see you are reading Girls in Trucks. I got that book (and another) delivered by UPS... don't know why or how? I know I entered one giveaway, but I never emailed her my address and now I don't remember who it was? MYSTERY. Is the book good? I have not been reading much, but plan too once we get settled. Wondering if I should hold on to it or donate it!

Nat said...

Crazy and loopy....I never graduated from Kindergarden...I think it's ridiculous. My niece is also graduating and this year alone they've taken perhaps 3 class photos...How crazy is that!!

King J's Queen said...

When our munchkin graduated from kindergarten, the school had their little program. No cap and gown, but they did wear dress clothes and each child was recognized by name. At home, we gave her a card for her scrapbook along with lots of hi-fives and hugs. That was about the extent of our celebration for her. I think some folks really make too much out of it.

Kelly said...

My daughter did the school graduation celebration, and we went with her. They had cute little caps that they made out of construction paper, they were adorable. We took a few pictures.

A party at home? Invitations? All that jazz? No. Seriously no!!

Mom24 said...

I completely agree. Julianna's in kindergarten too, but they don't do that here...thank goodness. :-)

Anissa said...

I'm with you. The two oldest were in public school when they were in Pre-k and kindergarten, they had their little graduation and that was it.

Now when they graduate from high school and college yes they will get a nice party. Hopefully by that time I will have the money! LOL

Coupon Magnet said...

Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog! :)
I love yours - it's got so much great content!
I'm totally with you on the Kindergarten thing. My daughter just "graduated". We had a cute little "Family Night" where they put on a skit, sang songs, had snacks, etc. It was fun and it made the kids feel so proud of themselves, but seriously... throwing catered parties?!? What will these parents do when the kids graduate 8th grade or high school? Geez Louise! They are crazy. haha
Great blog! I'll keep tuned!
Christy

sarah said...

I agree. We dont do graduation ceremonies where we live. Nothing exciting for kindergarten. THey will in 5th,8th and 12th They do a small thing for 5th becasue they go to middle school. I think that on is crazy too!