7.24.2009

Location, Location, Location...

A little while back I had mentioned that my hubby is not particularly happy with his new job out here in Arizona. We are committed to a 2 year contract which I think is nice because we'll have a better idea if we do or don't like it here when that time is up. With that said... this lady has never been patient! So I thought I would do some research on where we might go next.

My hubby's job is very location specific so it does make the "where to's" a bit easier. Here are a few places we could go and I NEED YOUR HELP! Any information you have on any of these spots would be SO helpful, and much appreciated! I am trying to narrow this list down a bit. Click the location name for a map:

Portsmouth, NH
Plymouth, MA
New London, CT
Wilmington, DE
Berwick, PA
Philadelphia, PA
Annapolis, MD
South Haven, MI
Benton Harbor, MI
Chattanooga, TN
Richmond, VA

Crystal River, FL
Clemson, SC

I truly value your opinions more than you all know, I look forward to your advice! I hope you all have fabulous weekend!!

au revoir, adieu, ciao, till next time...


Photobucket



Photobucket

39 fabulous comments:

kimert said...

Chattanooga, hands down! Says the TN girl!!! ha ha
Good luck!!

Cherie said...

Wow that is quite a list. I look at lists like that as new and fun adventures!
Unfortunatley, I am a western girl and out of your entire list I have only been to Richmond, VA which I thought was very very beautiful, full of history, but it has the freakin most crazy drivers you will ever see. ha ha
So I am not much help.
Fun to think about though!

Kelly said...

I don't have any experience with any of those locations. Good luck finding your perfect match!

Shannie said...

Are you sure there's nowhere in Georgia???? :-)

Martha in PA said...

Well of COURSE, I will have to say Berwick or Philadelphia, since they are in PA, and CLOSE to me..... There is so much to do in this part of the country, DC, Balitmore, the beaches, the mountains and NYC are all within a days drive! You don't have to LIVE in Philadelphia to work there, the 'burbs are great!!!

Happy VGNO... check out my give away!

♥spoiled mommy♥ said...

ONE HOUR 43 MINUTES!!!
YEP, thats how long it takes me to get to RICHMOND,VIRGINIA from my mothers house.
So that is where I think you should go & you can visit VA BEACH anytime-its only 2 hrs from Richmond.
Doesnt that sound dandy!?!
Now Richmond has its good and bad sections like everywhere so IF you decide on there let me know and I will help ya out!! ;)
Good Luck!!

blueviolet said...

Lizzie! Two of those places are near me. I live in Michigan!

Ok, South Haven is about 45 minutes from me.

Benton Harbor is VERY close to me, VERY close. Whirlpool has its headquarters there. This is a small community with gorgeous Lake Michigan at our beck and call. I can give you further details via email. I don't want to write anything else publicly but there are things you need to know.

ModernMom said...

Sorry I'm a Canadian gal but doesn't Sperling do a best places / safest places to live, to raise a family type list.Found them very interesting when we ALMOST made a huge move to Florida!

MamabearMills said...

what?!?!? i thought everyone shared their lube time on the web?!?!? lol ;)

E @ Scottsville said...

Well, seeing that TEXAS wasn't one of the options, I got 'nuttin' for ya.

Sorry Lizzy! =0) Hopefully you'll find lots of advice from some of the other gals out there in Blogland!

the Chacogirl said...

Sorry, can't say anything about the places you listed. I live in South America. But i hope you will choose the right place and that you and your family will be happy there. Happy VGNO! Hugs from Paraguay!

kimert said...

Well you just have to move to TN! :) afterall that's what the T stands for!! We are about an hour and a half from Chatt. TN has cheap property taxes, good schools and the mountains! Weather is tolerable too.

Kris said...

Back to SC!! I'm not biased or anything just because I live there lol. Thanks for coming by!

Lady Mama said...

I have no idea as I live in Canada and haven't traveled much in the States. But it sounds like a very exciting opportunity! Thanks for your comment on my blog! :)

Carolee / Home4ever said...

I LOVE Pennsylvania. I have relatives there and we are even thinking of maybe moving there one day.


Happy VGNO!

Opus #6 said...

Nothing in CA, so I can't be of much help, except to say that it is probably good that CA is not on your list, lol.

Happy VGNO!

I am Harriet said...

Wish I could help you :)
Happy VGNO!
Have a great weekend!

Lola said...

Can't help you with that either. Sorry.

Stopping by for VGNO and celebrating my birthday.

Hope you have a great weekend!

He & Me + 3 said...

On the list...I have lived in two of those states. Va and Mi
I am in michigan now. I love the fall here in michigan and this summer has been super mild so nice. But the winters are frigid...so get ready for that. Va is very beautiful & Richmond is not too far from the beach. If you like the water.

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

Of those on the list, I have lived in PA and MI and visited VA, SC, FL, DE, CT, MA and NH...all of them are great places...but if you moved to PA, you'd be close to me. ;)

Happy VGNO! :)

robin said...

Oooh. Portsmouth is FANTASTIC! It's one of my favorite places in New England. It's a beautiful and quaint little town with lots of shops and restaurants. The surrounding areas are gorgeous! And it's only about an hour outside of Boston so you're not really in the middle of nowhere. Plus the cost of living is really reasonable and there is no income tax in NH!
Good luck!

Yaya said...

Oh! Hubby and I interviewed Annapolis way back when and LOVED it there! But we decided not to move away from our families. (totally regret THAT decision now....)

Melinda said...

Hi Lizzie!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog ... sorry you can't join in the Organization fun, but then again, I'm not sorry that you're already organized. That is a good thing!! ;0)

Thank you also for giving me some encouragement with my preteen daughter. Believe it or not, she "re-friended" me. Oh and ups and downs of adolescence! I'm getting seasick!

Regarding locations... I live in Florida on the West coast. We love many things about Florida, but it's hard to find much of a sense of community here. People move in and out all the time, so we've gone through many sets of friends who have come and gone over the years. My kids have too.

We have several friends who live near Chattanooga and LOVE Tennessee. They say it is beautiful, wonderful things to do there, great family feel and sense of community and the weather is mild.

Hope that is helpful ... we actually almost moved to Cleveland, TN (30 min. from Chattanooga) a couple of years ago, but the job fell through at the last minute (economic fallout).

Bad Momma said...

Came over from VGNO. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Wish I could help you but Ohio is not on your list! Interesting way to do research. Hope you find a good city!

Melissa said...

I didn't see Wisconsin on that list!

dood1ebugs said...

My first voye is CLEMSON!!! But I did love growing up outside Philly! There is tons to do and GREAT schools. Mass is a cool place to visit but not sure I would want to live there. I am flying there Labor Day weekend. Come with me and check it out!

valentine said...

my bro and SIL used to live in annapolis, they are currently in AZ and can't wait to go back to annapolis. they loved it. so historic, and so many places nearby to visit and see. it does get mighty nippy in the winter, but is beautiful and not sweltering in the summer.

Ann said...

What? No Portland, OR?!?

OK. Well, I have lived in Connecticut and driven through New London. It's close to Mystic, CT which is a town I love.

Was that helpful Lizzie? Probably not but I just wanted to contribute!

Happy VGNO - weekend style :->

Mandala Michelle said...

I'm from New England so I will say that Portsmouth NH is absolutely gorgeous. If you hate the cold than that would be an issue.

Plymouth MA is great if you like history and I happen to love MA. Lots to do in that state, can't say enough about MA.

I'm from the New London CT area. The beach there is really nice but I have to tell you the school system is crappy.

Chattanooga, TN is a lot of fun to visit but I personally couldn't live there. Nothern girls don't adjust to the South too well : )

Hope my humble opinion helps!

Heather, Queen of Shake Shake said...

All I can say is I've driven through Chattanooga and I love the mountains. LOVE THEM.

kate said...

Hey Liz! Oh you are too funny! I think you can usually know pretty soon if you are just not going to be happy somewhere, I hope that whatever happens for you all in the next year or so, you can find some dreamy, beautiful, enchanting and friendly place in which to have your family flourish!

I grew up right near Portsmouth, NH (in York, Maine about 20 minutes away) and LOVE it there. In fact, if it becomes an option, I still have a good amount of friends there who could offer lots of great advice and even become great mama friends!

Hope you are well otherwise!

kimert said...

Sorry! My email is kimert@comcast.net

{our happy nest} said...

so i have no advice on any of those places but can say i would sure like to try out a few of them. happy hunting!

Midwest Mommy said...

I have visited South Haven Michigan once and LOVED it. Beautiful by the lake there.

Ms. Sarah said...

Stay away from CT. We are escaping the high cost of living. The taxes are stupidly high for town and state. The school systems stink. IF you have a speacail needs or extra help in school well thats laughable. I have lived in ct since I was four. Cant wait to get out. The new london area stinks!!!! We hate having to go down to that area for traffic and congestion is awful. I loved richmond when i visited. My cousin and her hubby have lived in annapolis and loved it. My grandfather was stationed around there and loved. My cousin now lives in wilmington and couldnt say more positive things about it. I am 2 hours from portsmouth now and love to visit up there for the outlet shopping. Great shops. It is beautiful.

underthebigbluesky said...

So, Wilmington, DE is 20 minutes from my house!!!!

And Philadelphia is about 45 minutes!!

It's a good area in DE,very rural though.

PA has got a little bit of everything.

Hard to say though because I've never been anywhere else on the list.

It's exciting to think you might be within driving distance!

JulieChats said...

I hope you got some feedback on your list to help you narrow it! I'm out here in Oregon, no help at all! Good Luck!

Stopping by late from VGNO!

American in Norway said...

I graduated HS in Wilmington... So did Kelly (song for whoever)
Nice place to raise a family... 1/2 hour from Philly... you can spend weekends down at the shore... You are close to DC & Balitmore...
Gosh, I am starting to miss it now...
Good luck & keep us posted!

Just A Mom (Call me JAM for short) said...

No California?! Boo hoo...