12.28.2010

Mama, I wanna Be A Rock Star

Music is a huge part of our family. My mom always sang in church, my dad has played the drums since he could walk. He has been in more bands then I can count. I grew up playing the piano and trumpet. I sang in the church and school choirs. Needless to say music speaks to my soul. I always wanted my kids to have the same passion for music I was raised with. My son wants to play the drums to be like my dad, and my daughter wants to be like Hannah Montana and play guitar.

Last Christmas they both received "starter" instruments; cheap, small versions of the more expensive counterparts they desired from my parents. The deal was take care of them for a year and practice, if they were still interested they would get an upgrade.

Boy, did my mom and dad deliver on their promise!

The little drummer boy rockin' out


There's my girl jammin' on her new guitar!


Thankfully we have a huge basement so the kids can play to their hearts content when ever they want to. I love hearing the sounds of their music flowing through my house :) It's what I always wanted. Lessons start next month and the kids are so excited! 

Anyone out there start playing guitar or drums at a young age and have any advice?

au revoir, adieu, ciao, till next time...
Photobucket

8 comments:

kyooty said...

YAY!!! Our boys are drummers and it's amazing to me just how much it isn't "loud"

Amber said...

Earplugs on occasion will be a good thing. :P If the kids are starting lessons, see what kind of reward stuff they do for the kiddos (like stickers in their books, etc.. It might seem small and unneccessary to us, but to a kid it lets them know they are getting better and to stick with it. Just a thought. :) It thrills me to see them into music as well! I hope mine love music too.

Cherie said...

Oh man your kids look WAY too cool!

I personally think music and playing instruments are a GREAT thing for kids to do for so many reasons. It develops another part of the brain, it teaches them how to stick with something by practicing regularly, they gain a love of music, etc...

All my kids played the piano to start out with and then branched out. My oldest son to drums and guitar.

Awesome!

ModernMom said...

How fabulous!
My advice...earplugs:)

Kimberly said...

If you can, find a teacher who knows how to integrate theory and passion into the music. My son's guitar teacher spends about 10 minutes of his 30 minute lesson on theory, then the other 20 minutes, grooms my son's passion for music by making him truly feel like a rock star (learning some of his favorite songs, etc.)

Haddock said...

It is good to have musically inclined kids at home.

Debbie said...

What great gifts! I think a love for music is such a wonderful thing to nurture.
I wish you all the best in 2011.

Kelly said...

What fun! I never did stick with an instrument and regret it.